🔎

Stuffed French Toast

I've seen so many delicious recipes for stuffed French toast...gruyere and nutella to name a few. But when I tried to make the nutella-stuffed, my toasts were such a task to stuff and didn't come out looking pretty. Any ideas for stuffing bread (and what kind) and/or cooking French toast perfectly?

Ferrettoy added almost 2 years ago

I cheat...I use two slices of bread with the filling ( l mix cream cheese and cinnamon sugar, and then add fresh fruit) inside. Then I dip the whole thing in the egg mixture, and use my panini grill to cook them so I don't have to worry about trying to flip. Just be careful not to squeeze the panini grill too much, or you can squeeze all the stuffing right out!

KatyM added almost 2 years ago

Thank you! I'll have to try it when I finally get my hands on a panini griller

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

If you haven't tried it already, I'd suggest buying bread that hasn't been pre-sliced so you can determine the thickness - with thicker sides & edges you have more of a support structure.

Use a pairing knife to cut a 1/2 - 1" slit in the side, then work it towards the edges (but not all the way through) to make your pocket. If using a puree or paste, like nutella, a piping bag will make it easier to fill (either a real bag or one made out of a ziploc baggie).

Enriched bread, such as brioche or pannetone, will probably hold the filling a bit better too versus a lean bread with lots of air pockets.

Like a grilled cheese, you'll want to cook it quite slow to not burn the outsides while the heat makes its way to the centre of the filling - particularly relevant if you're trying to melt cheese.

Baci1
HalfPint added almost 2 years ago

Try using a challah bread which is nice and sturdy, almost designed for French toast.

As for how, stuff, lay in baking pan, pour over egg/milk mixture. Let it soak in (maybe even leave in fridge overnight), then bake instead of pan frying it. Whole Foods makes stuffed French toast this way.

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added almost 2 years ago

This is how I make it (citrus custard completely optional): http://www.food52.com/recipes...