🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Stuffed French Toast

I've seen so many delicious recipes for stuffed French toast...gruyere and nutella to name a few. But when I tried to make the nutella-stuffed, my toasts were such a task to stuff and didn't come out looking pretty. Any ideas for stuffing bread (and what kind) and/or cooking French toast perfectly?

asked by KatyM over 2 years ago

I cheat...I use two slices of bread with the filling ( l mix cream cheese and cinnamon sugar, and then add fresh fruit) inside. Then I dip the whole thing in the egg mixture, and use my panini grill to cook them so I don't have to worry about trying to flip. Just be careful not to squeeze the panini grill too much, or you can squeeze all the stuffing right out!

Thank you! I'll have to try it when I finally get my hands on a panini griller

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

If you haven't tried it already, I'd suggest buying bread that hasn't been pre-sliced so you can determine the thickness - with thicker sides & edges you have more of a support structure.

Use a pairing knife to cut a 1/2 - 1" slit in the side, then work it towards the edges (but not all the way through) to make your pocket. If using a puree or paste, like nutella, a piping bag will make it easier to fill (either a real bag or one made out of a ziploc baggie).

Enriched bread, such as brioche or pannetone, will probably hold the filling a bit better too versus a lean bread with lots of air pockets.

Like a grilled cheese, you'll want to cook it quite slow to not burn the outsides while the heat makes its way to the centre of the filling - particularly relevant if you're trying to melt cheese.

Baci1

Try using a challah bread which is nice and sturdy, almost designed for French toast.

As for how, stuff, lay in baking pan, pour over egg/milk mixture. Let it soak in (maybe even leave in fridge overnight), then bake instead of pan frying it. Whole Foods makes stuffed French toast this way.

Dsc00859_2

This is how I make it (citrus custard completely optional): http://www.food52.com/recipes...