🔔
🔎

What's the best way to cook beets?

asked by EZASPIi26 over 2 years ago
Baci1

Peel, toss w oil and roast.

I would not bother peeling. Wash them good after roasting the skin will slip right off.

Baci1

I like to peel before cooking because I hate doing it after roasting. Seems to be messier. Just a preferance on part.

Open-uri20141030-6777-167tand

That's exactly how I got our non-beet eater to eat beats, too. Instead of using balsamic dressing, I made a dressing of fresh orange juice and walnut oil. You may also want to try goat cheese instead of the blue cheese sometime. Both work really well. The really nice thing about roasting the beats in the foil is that the skins just slip off. Wear rubber gloves, though, if you want to avoid staining your hands.

Wholefoods_user_icon

I peel and cut them up and cook like potatoes but I add a tbsp of reed wine vinegar to the water. When I serve them I put a little cinnamon on them. So far even the picky eaters in my house eat them with no problem!

Headshot

I'm partial to Sally Schneider's steam-roasting technique in "A New Way to Cook." You put the unpeeled beets in a roasting dish, and add about 1/4" of water. Cover the dish with foil, then roast at 425 for 45 minutes or an hour. Once cool, you can slip the skins right off the beets. I think it's the easiest and tastiest way to cook beets.

This is my favorite beets recipe. Its so delicious! http://www.thekitchn.com...