THE FOOD52 COMMUNITY IS NOW 1 MILLION STRONG! READ MORE »

What to substitute cake flour with?

asked by Kirsten,Sheehan almost 4 years ago
Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

I haven't tried it myself, but understand that in a pinch you can take 1 cup all purpose flour, remove 2 Tablespoons flour then replace the removed flour with 2 Tablespoons cornstarch. You might want to give that a try.

Ea2fede5 db69 4f9c b6a5 c70c27497ae9  dsc 0002 2

What kind of cake are you making? If you are looking to make a very fine & delicate cake you are going to need that cake (or pastry flour). However, if the cake can or does have a rustic quality (admittedly doubtful if it calls for cake flour in the first place), White Whole Wheat (1 part) and All Purpose (2 parts) will reduce the gluten content significantly allowing for better rise and is lovely for pastry where flake is important (do not use regular red whole wheat!!). Also the aforementioned corn starch sounds right, and/or a 1-part/5 or 4-part mixture of fine corn meal and all-purpose is nice with fruit-cetric cakes.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I'm no expert, but I almost always use pastry flour instead of cake flour in recipes calling for cake flour. I've never had a failure. I'm guessing, though, that if you don't have cake flour on hand, you probably won't have pastry flour on hand either. I get it from the bulk bins at my local food coop.