🔎

What is a Macrobiotic diet?

Dsc_0002_2
threefresheggs added almost 2 years ago

It is a diet based on Taoist principals of seeking balance between yin and yang energies. It is neither culinary nor religious. Taoism is an example of what is know as a philosophical 'discipline'.

Dsc_0002_2
threefresheggs added almost 2 years ago

*known*

Sam1148 added almost 2 years ago

The Original Macrobiotic was pretty good as a eating philosophy.
It was mostly based on using local stuff, and allowed for meats and seafoods. With a major focus on sea weeds...and using the number of and types of teeth you have in you mouth for the touchstone of the diet: Canines for meats make up the smaller portion of the diet, with root veggies and grains as the bulk of the diet. Along with the above comment of 'balance' between sweet and savory, veggies and meats and very seasonal local foods.

However it's now been co-opted by radical vegans--that even the creator of the movement wouldn't recognized it today.

Scan0004
susan g added almost 2 years ago

Meg Wolff is, I think, a wonderful representative of modern macrobiotics at its best. You can look at her website (http://megwolff.com/) and her recent cookbook, A Life in Balance. The Huffington Post has been 'publishing' articles and recipes she writes. She has an amazing story to tell.