to rephrase the Q, I am not looking for an onion alternative, but rather something else to do with those red peppers

asked by @erickschonfeld about 5 years ago

Here's a good soup recipe (shallots and garlic, no onion): And here's a recipe from the NYT for Roasted Stuffed Peppers -- no onions!

You can roast, peel and stuff them with anything from brandade to quinoa. I posted a recipe calling for a brandade filling recently. Brandade is mostly salt cod with potatoes and cream. Quinoa is quinoa, but you can tart it up a bit.

why not fire roast them(red peppers),remove skins, put them in jars, cover with olive oil, & a 5 minute process to set the lids. Then you have roasted peppers all year long. You can freeze them as well.

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

You could easily omit the onion or garlic called for in many red pepper recipes -- you'll just get a purer, sharper red pepper flavor.

One idea: I've found roasting red peppers slowly in the oven (as opposed to over a gas flame) leaves you with an intensely sweet, rich pulp -- a great base for a pasta sauce or a savory jam. At 425 F, whole peppers might take upwards of an hour for the skins to char & separate from the flesh; or you can increase the heat for speedier cooking. Here's a recipe for red pepper jam alongside a grilled cheese sandwich:

Or for something completely different: Red Pepper & Fennel (Seed) Scones w/ Manchego

if you've got tons and tons, you can roast them then freeze the roasted, peeled peppers with a little olive oil in ziplocs. I freeze them in 1/2 and 1 cup quantities and then I can pull them out to use in the winter. They get a wee bit slimier after freezing, but if you're going to cook them, it won't be noticeable.

Red peppers are great baked until black, skinned and used in a cous cous or bulger wheat salad. I like to mix mine with roasted cherry tomatoes (with a dribble of red wine vinegar or balsamic after cooking), chives and feta cheese. This is delicious with BBQ meats or cold meats, or own its own for a snack.

My favorite pizza is grilled chicken, ricotta cheese, roasted red peppers and pesto.
Roast the peppers like the others say, then cut them into long strips for the pizza.

I make this salad without onions.

@LeeBros pimento cheese. I think they have not put this recipe online but it's page 89 of their first cookbook -- which is highly recommended. http://mattleeandtedlee... In its absence just use fresh roasted red pepper instead of canned pimento in whatever pim cheese recipe you like.