🔔
🔎

I poured sugar syrup on baklava but after cutting i realized it doesn't seem done on the bottom layer. Can i put it back in the oven?

The top layer of the puff pastry was done, so after it cooled I poured the sugar syrup on. I cut myself a piece to taste, and realized that the bottom layer of puff pastry doesn't seem done. Can i put it back in the oven? And then just make more syrup and pour over?

asked by Jessica543 over 2 years ago

The sugar will burn. Pick your battle. Is the underdone bottom layer more off putting than a perhaps patchily burnt top. You could try removing any sugar syrup directly from the top layer with a wet towel which would lessen the possibility if burnt sugar and give a little protection against a dry top. Also is the bottom layer underdone or just dense and syrupy? If so, I say leave it.

I think it's undone, it wasn't golden like the top layer, but the pale whitish color it was before it baked. I think I'm going to put it back in for 5 minutes and then turn off the oven and let it sit in the hot oven for a few more minutes. This hasn't happened before, i think it is partially because I should have left it in longer, and partially because I have a tiny kitchen with a tiny oven and the tray I used for baking is bigger than the oven and the door is always open a crack as things cook.