🔎

• 8

• 1404

• See other questions tagged:
    • spicy

how to cool down heat in chili

i have this great spicy chili recipe i dehydrate for backpacking. we've made it before & we've been able to tweak the heat. this year same recipe, new chili powder - it exploded. we always add some molasses & brown sugar - but even adding a lot more doesn't help. i'm not sure if adding more diced tomatoes and/or bulgur would help. i won't have creme fraiche but i may have some cheese to help. i don't want to toss it out. i'd like to knock down the heat a little more, if possible, before i dehydrate it. any suggestions?

Open-uri20130226-27025-e5tcmm-0
Smokin_tokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo added almost 2 years ago

Any milk item (cheese is good) will help with heat while eating but it doesn't reduce the amount of heat. I would add some of all your other items, making 1 and half batches and hopefully the heat will lessen by diluting. Too much molassas and sugar will just make it sweet.

previous hotline on this subject--

http://www.food52.com/hotline...

Bill F added almost 2 years ago

Add cooked white rice to which will thicken it up and then in turn you can add tomato juice to it.

Melusine added almost 2 years ago

Stirring in some canned or homemade refried beans will tone down the heat, too; ditto on the tomato juice.

LucyS added almost 2 years ago

Sour cream or plain yogurt could definitely take down the heat as well.

Open-uri20130226-27025-e5tcmm-0
srcerer added almost 2 years ago

I think I may halve the chili - freeze one half and to the other half - add on beans, bulgur, tomatoes and maybe onions. I won't have access to sour cream when I am eating it. Maybe some cheddar cheese. But I wonder if I stir in powdered milk - if that would also help.

Thanks for the suggestions! I was afraid to straight up dilute the chili. But it looks like that is the key...

Face
allans added almost 2 years ago

I would make another batch without the heat ingredients and add them together. Ditto on the dairy additions as well.

Pegeen added almost 2 years ago

Ditto AllanS although you might be able to get away with adding another 1/2 batch vs full batch. Whatever. Just don't just dilute it with water only!

Open-uri20130226-27025-e5tcmm-0
srcerer added almost 2 years ago

Adding about 1/2 more of the recipe (without the heat) did the trick. It is still spicy but it's edible.

Thanks for all the suggestions!