🔎

• 9

• 2489

Left fresh Mozzarella out overnight

What do you think? It is in water packed tubs and completely sealed.

Bill F added almost 2 years ago

What are you trying to achieve?

nutcakes added almost 2 years ago

I want to eat it with garden tomatoes. It is supposed to be kept refrigerated. It isn't meat, and the seal wasn't broken, so I'm not too leary about trying it, but wondered if anyone knew more about the effect of non refrigeration on fresh mozza for 10 hours. Sorry that I wasn't more specific.

Cheeses are perhaps the only food I'm not worried about leaving out overnight. Even the fresh ones are relatively low in water, and it's that which contributes to a spoilage medium. That said, you'll probably want to eat it up sooner rather than later. And since you're fortunate enough to have garden tomatoes, which you likely also want to eat up soon, you're in luck!

Christine added almost 2 years ago

I would also add that if it is in a brine, that would also lower the risk that the cheese has spoiled. I'

You're right, Christine; I totally missed that in nutcakes's question.

Waffle3
ChefOno added almost 2 years ago

Interesting situation. USDA rules say throw it out. If it weren't for it being sealed, I'd agree since any pathogenic bacteria that happened to settle on it could easily cause trouble in the time it was at RT. Hard cheeses don't have enough moisture to promote rapid bacterial growth but soft ones do. Assuming we're talking about a pasteurized product, the big issue, I think, would be spoilage bacteria which is ever-present but would be evident as soon as you open the package (or as boulangere intimated, will likely become evident sooner than usual).

nutcakes added almost 2 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

I wish I could count on USDA but they had us overcooking pork for years, unless we ignored the advice, which I did. I'll check back and let you know how it goes....

Waffle3
ChefOno added almost 2 years ago

To be clear, I'm no shill for the USDA but their guidelines are a good place to start if nothing else. I try to include them in my comments for two reasons -- for professional liability and because my opinion is only just that. It's your risk, not mine, always your call.

Remember they have to advise for the lowest common denominator which, for consumers, is someone with a dial thermometer who doesn't understand how to use it nor its limitations. "It doesn't take a rocket scientist -- I just stick it in the meat and it tells me if it's done." Thus the safety margins. I could write a chapter on the subject, easy.

chef of the future 2000 added almost 2 years ago

One night on the counter in a temperature controlled house should not be any issue at all.