🔔
🔎

How do I cook quinoa

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 2 years ago
Wholefoods_user_icon

Hi there! Here's a basic recipe for quinoa: http://nyc.wholefoodsmarketcooking...

Food52

Typically, you would follow a 2:1 ratio of liquid to quinoa. Cook it exactly as you would rice. Here's the method I use when cooking quinoa or rice:

1) heat a small amount of oil in a heavy pot. Saute/sweat a handfull of Carrots and onions that have been finely diced over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes. Add herbs and minced garlic, cook for additional minute.

2) Add 1 cup rice or quinoa and stir well ensuring it is thoroughly coated with the oil, then add two cups of cooking liquid (water or stock).

3) bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover your pot and cook for 10-15 minutes. Then, turn off the heat (Resist the urge to lift the lid and look!), and leave it to sit (still covered) for another 10-15 minutes.

4) Remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Serve and enjoy.

Food52

How did I forget to add salt to the pot???

Benny is right. One thing people frequently do wrong with quinoa is to hammer the crap out of it. It actually will cook faster than rice but it shouldn't be a porridge.

Buddhacat

The most important thing about cooking quinoa is that before cooking let in sit in cold water for 5 minutes, and then rinse it until the water runs clear. It takes the bitter outer coat off.

Scan0004

I give the quinoa a good rinse, but I have read that quinoa in the US typically does not have the bitter saponins any more.
Best lesson I have learned, and finally tried, is to cover the pot with a dish towel, then replace the lid, when the water is absorbed. Really improves the outcome.
There's an excellent site devoted to cooking quinoa -- www.cookingquinoa.net. Lots of basic information and lots of recipes.

That's a good tip susan g, I have read about it but never tried and it makes sense. Will try next time. I likely should have done that with my Israeli couscous this evening.