🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Dried Milk Powder - Do you think I can just leave it out? Or substitute regular or maybe evaporated milk?

In the most recent Bon Appetit magazine, there's a recipe for Momofuku's (in NYC) Crack Pie. I really want to make one to surprise my son, who is returning home in a couple of days and loves it. However, the filling calls for 1 Tblsp of dried milk powder....sounds simple, right? Problem is, my local store only carries it in giant (hence, expensive) boxes, with like 100X the amount I need - and I really never use it for anything else.

asked by amysarah about 4 years ago

you might try whole foods or a health food store to see if they carry it in bulk. I do think you need it though as I don't think Chef Tosi would add it if it wasn't needed. I would not sub in liquid dairy, it's not the same thing and your filling may be too soft. I would leave it out rather than sub in liquid.

If you have to buy a ton of it, perhaps you can donate the remainder to a shelter.

Also check out King Arthur Flour company for (possibly) smaller package sizes. Dry milk powder does come up from time to time in recipes, especially baked goods (bread).

Img__631-1_(1)

whole foods had smaller amounts in the baking department but I think Savorykitchen is right in her answer.

Ozoz_profile

I would stick to the dry powder. I'm smiling because after looking in 5 supermarkets, I finally found a tin of dried milk powder......to make this pie this weekend. I'm making mini versions!

Merrill

Just got this tweet from King Arthur Flour: "We have 16 oz. Bakers Special Dry milk and 8 oz. Whole milk packages. Enjoy!"

Farmer's_market

Thanks everyone for the answers....my local market didn't have King Arthur's smaller quantity package. Looks like I'll need to trek to Whole Foods. This pie truly is worth it though - its name is well deserved. Thanks all again!

Cakes

Those crack pies are addictive. I agree that Chef Tosi would not leave out the milk powder, though!

Author_pic

I made the chocolate-malt cake from Momofuku a few weeks ago in which you had to make "milk crumbs" using the dried milk powder. I had to buy the big box of dried milk, so now I have plenty of dried milk to make the crack pie as well. The recipe for the cake was in the same issue of Bon App and it was one of the best cakes I've ever made. Really original. If you loved the pie, make the cake as well.

You should mail some to amysarah :)

I would like to know where I can get this recipe after this late date?

Img__631-1_(1)

The Epicrious app on the iPhone has it. It is Bsolutely worth making as well as the blueberry and cream cookies and the chocolate malt cake. Try Epicurious.com

Cakes

Here is a link to the Martha Stewart video and Chef Tosi lists the ingredients as she makes the pie:

http://www.eatmedaily.com...

Dsc06467

thirschfeld Hi ! Thank you for answering Connie_reuter; I will look into Epicurious for those recipes to. Thank you very much.
Yvonne

Headshot2009

I made the Crack Pie last year when the LA Times ran the recipe. My friends are STILL talking about it. Definitely worth making! I'll try to find the recipe and post it for connie and others.

Author_pic

Here's the link to the Momofuku chocolate malt cake. It's worth every pot and pan you have to wash minute. http://www.epicurious.com...

I adapted the recipe to make brownies. To make things easier, instead of the milk crumbs I used crushed whoppers. It worked!

Whopper_brownies_144

Gr8chefmb

For those who are looking for small quantities of dried milk, try King Arthur Flour [http://search.kingarthurflour...]. Really, having dried milk on hand is a great idea for emergency situations such as power outage as well as giving extra flavour to baked goods, mashed potatoes, etc. Just saying.... :-)

The milk powder is also an ingredient for the steamed pork buns :)

Me_in_munich_with_fish

You could use leftover milk powder in making yogurt. In yogurt, adding the powder helps to thicken it. Of course, if you have really high-quality, high-fat milk, you won't need to thicken it ;)

The recipe printed in the LA Times differes a bit from the one printedin Bon Appetite/Epicurious website. One of the main defferences is that it makees pie for 2 and that it uses a lot more milk powder for each pie. You might want to try it.
http://articles.latimes...

Here is the write up which claims that he milk powder gives the filling body:
http://www.latimes.com...

And for the extra powdered milk, my mother likes those International Coffee mixes in the winter, so I will make up a vew varities. You can jive jars of them for gifts to people who like that, with the recipe on a tag. Let me know if you need help finding ones.

You've probably already ordered it online, but what Christina Tosi says about milk powder is that, to her, it works like MSG in baking, it lifts the recipes, that's all

Girl_dog

I have used coffee creamer (equal to amount called for in the recipe for dry milk powder & it has worked well.

I have made the confetti cookies from the milk book. If you invest in the book, the purchase of the powder is worth it. Though I've found there's a lot of stuff in the book that seems really complex.