🔔
🔎

Recipes with fresh figs

asked by lakshmi over 2 years ago
Stringio

Just did a delicious hors d'oeuvre last month halve the figs and roast with a dab of honey on each top with goat cheese. Heat at 350 for 10 minutes. Top with a sliver of prosciutto and serve

Kbckitchen's idea is one of my faves. Also, I love to halve them, toss in a little olive oil, then roast at about 425-450 degrees , turning once, until they reach the desired amount of caramalization, about 20-30 minutes (a tip: spraying the baking sheet with nonstick spray first helps keep the caramalized figs from sticking to the sheet).

Once done I cut them a little smaller and toss in a nice green salad -- arugula or anything a little bitter is nice with the sweetness of the figs -- and some toasted walnuts, cheese -- I like chèvre or manchego with figs -- and a little balsamic vinaigrette. Lots of variety possible, but the roasted figs are a really delightful surprise in a g salad.

I think roasted figs are truly the nectar of the gods -- enjoy!

Oh, also, I think a roasted fig and caramelized onion pizza is ALSO the nectar of the gods!

Bigpan

Cut a cross on the top, squeeze open, fill with marscapone, top with a drizzle of honey and crushed pistachio.
Stand back and listen to your guests cheer.

Fill with chocolate ganashe , poke a home in the bottom of the figs with a skewer then pipe in the chocolate, leave to set in the fridge and then dip in chocolate, best eaten the day it's made

Junechamp

Oh dear! that sounds wonderful...

rt21, making Homer Simpson-like eating sounds right now!

Tossed quartered fig, prosciutto and small pieces of mozzarella with greens (sping mix, arugula, ect) and toss with a vinegrette (one with honey is a plus)

20090907-jackson-8

Last Christmas I made a Fig Duck Confit salad that was in that month's Saveur. This combination was magical: shredded duck confit, quartered fresh figs, bitter greens, a simple vinaigrette.

I'm going minimalist here. My figs are dropping and I'm scooping them up as fast I can. I don't cook them. Slice in half and place over sliced prosciutto. Grab a sliver or two of parmigiano reggiano. Drizzle a bit of balsamico (and I mean the good stuff). Maybe a couple of fresh strawberries on the plate. See, I did say minimalist.

I grill them slightly and put them in pasta with smoked trout and spinach (or arugula) and a little cheese.

Junechamp

Make a tart shell (size you prefer, or individuals) and bake blind. Let cool. Spread with seedless raspberry preserves/puree. Slice figs vertically and arrange them, cut side up on the cooled shell. Sprinkle all over thickly with confectioners sugar. Put under a broiler for about 8 minutes, or until the sugar is all bubbly on the figs.

Remove from oven and let cool to room temp. Garnish with fresh raspberries and serve with either Creme Chantilly or Vanilla Ice Cream.

Dsc_0008-002
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

These are really delicious ideas, and I'm jealous of all of you who are awash in figs! I take mine in a slightly different direction but can't get enough of this. I poach them gently in a peppercorn-coriander sugar liquid and serve over fresh ricotta. Insanely divine breakfast! http://em-i-lis.com/wordpress...