I have an abundance of basil... My garden really bloomed this week. Other than pesto any ideas of what to do with it?

asked by Susanadrienne about 2 years ago

Basil is a delightful addition to tomato sauces, Caprese Salad (mozzarella, tomatoes, olives and olive oil), cold pasta salads, and salad dressings. It is also good in green salads--just tear the leaves into very small pieces and toss with the other greens.

Photo_(6)

The above suggestions are spot on but recently there was this feed, and I really liked it. Here is the link -
http://www.food52.com/blog...

Cumberland_pass_atv_trip_-_july_20__2013_019

I only have one comment to add to the above excellent suggestions......I wish I lived next-door to you!

Basil, mint, feta cheese and watermelon cubes. With a splash of balsamic vinegar.

I've been making a lot of white pizza lately. With seasoned ricotta cheese, mozarella as the base 'sauce'. with asparagus and red onion. Baked then finished with strips of roasted chicken and basil tossed with olive oil..and put on in the last 30 seconds--I like the basil to wilt..but you don't have to do that.

I think basil would also pare well with cooked pears cut in half with goat cheese, or blue cheese, basil, and balsamic vinegar.

Give it away to co-workers. My basil died and I have to buy fresh stuff.

Yes to all of the above ideas. Also, basil can be a yummy addition to some fruit smoothies (strawberry-basil comes to mind).

Kristen W's answer reminded me of s strawberry-basil martini I had at a fancy hotel. I recreated it using lemon juice, simple syrup, with muddled strawberries and basil. They go down super easy so be careful!

The classic "Pizza Margherita" calls for tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil. No other topping required.

Baci1

I would go sweet as well as savory:
-ice cream. Basil & vanilla ice cream is wonderful. Just puree the basil into the ice cream base and freeze.
-panna cotta. Had this once at a swanky steakhouse. beautiful pale green and delicious.
-strawberry basil shrub. Make a simple syrup with basil, strawberries. Add equal part balsamic vinegar. Simmer 10 minutes. Add the syrup to a tall glass of ice and club soda.

I dry mine in the oven. it only takes very low low heat and you leave it. I find with electric heat it does not create a huge bill to do it. You can process alot at one time.

also one of my favorite all time preserving books "putting by" helps you learn the old fashion country ways of putting food by for another time.

I also just ready that with herbs, apple juice and pectin you can make herb jelly?

Imag0276

I really love making basil aioli it's great on a sandwich as well as a nice piece of fish.

A couple of sweet ideas... make a simple syrup and puree a ton of basil into it. you can use it as a sauce for things like panna cotta with sliced fruit or strawberry shortcake. Another great idea is lemon-basil sorbet. Make your sorbet base and puree a handful of basil leaves into it.

Forgot to mention, strain the basil leaves prior to using.

Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

These all sound great. To throw another recipe into the mix, I am currently obsessed(!) with my plum-basil jam: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
:)