🔎

• 9

• 1441

A question about a recipe: Mint and Potato Pulao

I have a question about the ingredient "green chillies, slit vertically" on the recipe "Mint and Potato Pulao" from Shri. Green chillies are often cited in recipes- but this seems like a vague description? What does the author refer to-- Serranos, jalapenos?

Copy_of_dsc_5106ps
7029531297_620861934a_z
Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago

I can't speak for this cook but, in general, when a recipe calls for an unspecified "green chile", they're looking for the fresh, vegetal notes common to all and leaving the amount of heat desired up to the preparer. Supply can also be an issue as can language. There are hundreds if not thousands of chile varieties available around the world, often referred to simply by their physical attributes, e.g. "small green chilies".

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Agree with Chef Ono - in addition, generally for Indian food you're looking for green chiles about the length of your index finger but not as fat as a jalapeño tends to be. Serranos work well, but certainly jalapeños or other ones are fine too.

Just as a note, we'll be coming into Hatch chile season soon (climate change permitting). There's almost nothing that smells better than the perfume of these chiles being roasted. Emphatically aromatic. But working with them, they can vary greatly in heat level from pepper to pepper. The color is no indication of what you are going to get.

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago

Hmmm… Sounds like a good excuse for another batch of the pork chile rellenos I've been working on. I don't understand the excitement about Hatch chiles as opposed to other growing regions though.

Family_feb2012_-_version_2
garlic&lemon added over 1 year ago

Ooh! Them's fightin words here in New Mexico! Of course, in New Mexico, we have an intense friendly rivalry between green chile from Hatch and green chile from around Socorro (Lemitar chile). And we pretty much agree on the superior perfume and taste of Chimayo red chile. However, the very best green chile is the stuff that you grow yourself from seeds that you carefully saved from your best chiles from the previous year. That having been said, New Mexico green chiles (Big Jims or Sandias) have FAR superior flavor to Anaheims from California (taste like lettuce, bah). Anyway, we are about a month away from first harvest, when the intoxicating smell of outside green chile roasters make us glad to be alive.

ChefOno it's a terroir thing. Anaheim's are kind of antiseptic in taste---and bred for consistancy. What I love about New Messican chile peppers is their unpredictablity in Scovilles. They can be mildly hot or they can be really hot. You won't know as there are no outside indicators. But they sure smell damn fine when they are roasting.

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago

Thanks both. With an open mind I will look forward to a taste-off. Any suggestions / favorite dishes for the purpose would be most welcome.

Scan0004
susan g added over 1 year ago

Good answers above. To me the key here (Ms/Mr Genius) is that this is an Indian recipe (also said). A sort of red herring can be a recipe that intends you to use the little cans, either split or chopped -- a very mild taste, but a definite aromatic in a recipe.
I bought chile seedlings at H Mart, and the checker warned me that they were very hot (which is why I was buying them). My only growing option is potting them. While they grow beautiful peppers, even (brought indoors) during the winter, the peppers are NOT hot. Disappointed!

Shri added over 1 year ago

@ Genius Recipes - Like Chef Ono mentioned there are countless varieties of chillies but the Indian variety of chillies mainly are 2 types - the one which is no longer than your pinky finger which tends to be hotter while the other one is as long as your index finger. I used the longer ones which are milder (in Indian terms). I suggest, you use the jalapeno peppers and instead of an entire Jalapeno, you can use half and finely chopped. You can also remove the seeds if you want a mild version. Hope this helps!!