I need a decent kitchen thermometer, ideas?

asked by Summer of Eggplant about 2 years ago

Hands down best is the Thermapen instant read. You will get an accurate temp in 2 to 3 seconds. Other "instant read" thermometers can take as long as 20 seconds to deliver. They are expensive at around $100. Can be ordered through King Arthur Flour.

Waffle3

I concur of course but suggest ordering directly from Thermoworks for a selection of colors and accessories.

Waffle3

The Thermapen is super fast and super accurate (calibrated to laboratory standards) and versatile enough to do 90% of all tasks. $89 plus $8 silicone boot plus $6 shipping. It's worth it if you can afford it. If not, the one I always carry in my sleeve pocket, a Taylor 9842, runs around $12.

ThermoWorks also makes a good oven thermometer / timer ($19) that doubles as a candy / oil thermometer (or whatever) with its optional clip. As with all inexpensive digital thermometers, this one uses thermistor technology which is not as quick as a thermocouple (not an issue in this case) and its accuracy can drift over time. But new probes are cheap (around $6) so it's not a major loss when you pinch the cable in the oven door or accidently broil one along with the roast.

Whatever you do, do not rely on a dial type thermometer. They are inherently inaccurate, maybe worse than no thermometer at all.

When ordering from Thermoworks be sure to indicate that you want the farenheit reading as opposed to centigrade as they can't be toggled back and forth. I did order my own directly from them when I first became aware of them and it has lasted me a very long, long, long time.

Waffle3

You must indeed have had yours for a while. The current version is now water resistant and switchable from C to F.