Recipes for pressure canning salmon

I had great success canning tuna last year and will can salmon tomorrow. Seeking recipes suitable for pressure canning.

asked by jwlucas almost 2 years ago
Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

There's a bit of help for you here: http://www.sbcanning.com...

Jwl_001

Many thanks! This is pretty similar to the method for tuna, although I poured olive oil into jars in the Italian style. That's my big question still. A lot of the recipes I've seen add no liquid or vinegar. I had assumed I'd add olive oil again. Thoughts?

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

The National Center for Home Preservation doesn't recommend adding any liquid to fish when it's canned: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how... I don't know enough about pressure canning to know why that is.

Jwl_001

Thank you, Diana. I would up using a little oliive oil in each jar, but the pressure caused some to bubble out. All but one jar sealed perfectly so Ihink I'm OK. Thanks so much for sharing this resource.

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Did you try lifting each jar just by the lid (without the ring), just to be sure you have a good seal? I ask because usually oil will doom a seal. That's why it's recommended that you wipe the rim of anything oily or with oil in it with a paper towel dampened with vinegar before you put the lids on, to ensure the rim is absolutely clean. I would worry about any jar that oil bubbled out of, even if it seems sealed. Do test the seals, just for safety's sake.

If you repeat this recipe in the future, I wonder if just brushing the fish with some olive oil (and maybe some Mediterranean herbs?) and letting it sit in the fridge for a bit before putting it in the jars and pressure canning it would achieve the effect you wanted without the danger of siphoning from the jars?