Pattypan Squash

We took a drive to Palisade yesterday, famous for Colorado peaches, and came back with peaches, green tomatoes, eggplant, beets, turnips, and pattypan squash. Has anyone here grilled pattypan squash and was it good? I will be using Amanda's recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes w/Panko & Parmesan; roasting the beets and turnips; and like the idea of doing both the eggplant and squash on the grill with olive oil, salt and pepper.

asked by JanetFL about 2 years ago

They're great on the grill. I cut them in about half inch round pieces, brush w olive oil & sprinkle w salt & pepper. Grill at an angle and turn once, just about 3 or 4 minutes per side. You don't want them limp, just a little chewy. They're very cute w their off shapes.

Cumberland_pass_atv_trip_-_july_20__2013_019

Thanks, miss jane - I will grill them using your method.

I also roast them in the oven. About 30 mins at 400. They hold up well. Just salt pepper and olive oil.

Thank you for another idea, jmburns. Do you slice the sqash or just cut them in half?

Oh Palisade...I bet it is great there right now! We recently had to breeze past Paonia...and I wish we had more time to visit the valley. I used to stuff pattypan with herby cheese and breadcrumbs or maybe add a little bacon in the mix. It goes quickly on the grill and is so sweet. Agree on slicing it crosswise- they are like little flowers.

Savorthis, it's wonderful here - I'm actually in Gunnison where it's cool and beautiful. I love stuffed pattypan and thought I would try it grilled so am happy to hear that it turns out so well....and pretty!

I love pattypan squash! Does anyone know where I can find it in north NJ? Csnt find it anywhere ! Thanks