Cumberland_pass_atv_trip_-_july_20__2013_019

Not sure that I'm understanding your question correctly - you can make a simple syrup by heating equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan. Various flavorings, including a vanilla bean (split the bean, scrape the seeds, and add both seeds and bean to the sugar and water mixture), can be added. Simmer over moderate heat for about 10 minutes. Discard the vanilla bean (or other flavoring) and store in the refrigerator. Hope this helps!

You can also flavor simple syrup with good vanilla extract

How_to_make_a_custard_part_1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Please NEVER DISCARD a vanilla bean pod! Best way to use vanilla beans in this description: http://eggbeater.typepad...
Vanilla beans and their seeds are oil soluble not water soluble so vanilla bean seeds must be "pre-dispersed" before adding to water. Also vanilla extract evaporates as soon as you cook it. If you want to flavor simple syrup with vanilla extract, add it off heat and use cold or at room temperature. A good use of this might be to flavor lemonade with vanilla simple syrup.

I make all my simple syrups with equal parts sugar and water (4 cups sugar to 4 cups h20), then you can add scraped vanilla beans. Scrape the seeds and use them in something special, like creme brulee, then just use the used pods - you'll still get the effect of the seeds. When I make mine, I throw in old Vanilla Beans, cinnamon sticks, couple cloves, star anise, cardamom pods, maybe the unusalbe wedge from a pice of nutmeg, halved oranges, limes, lemons - just strain once everything is dissolved. You can use it in drinks, sorbets, or brush it between cake layers to make everything (even more) moist and delicious.

Try this recipe - the brown sugar seems to exaggerate the vanilla flavor -- also this is sweeter than most, but I prefer the flavor and just use less:

• 4 vanilla beans (2 vanilla beans)
• 1 cup of water
• 2 cups of sugar (2 cups brown sugar)
• Pinch of sugar
• 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Instructions

1. Split the vanilla beans and scrape out the seeds, reserve. Cut one bean into either two or three pieces (depending on how many jars you’re planning on using) and set aside.
2. In a heavy-duty saucepan, heat the water and sugar together until the sugar is melted. Add the reserved vanilla seeds, three (or one) vanilla beans, and the pinch of sugar. Boil for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat. Allow to cool and stir in the vanilla extract. Pour the syrup into the reserved jars. Insert one piece of vanilla bean in each jar. Refrigerate.