🔔
🔎

What supermarket products just aren't the same with corporations changing formulas and ingrediants?

Do you have old favorites that simply aren't available now or have been so messed with they just aren't the same anymore? Have you found better substitutions?

Oreo Cookies. They've really gone down hill lately. The filling isn't quite right, and the cookie itself is kinda dense compared to the original ones.

I purchased a box of "Back to nature" Classic Crème cookies. Wow, spot on for the "Oreo or Hydrox" of my childhood.
They also make a mint fudge which is what grill scout "Thin Mint" used to taste like.

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

My initial thought was "all of them."

I had a girl scout cookie for the first time in many, many years a few months' back and it was absolutely terrible. Tried the other options - shortbread, thin mints & caramel delights (also called samoas I think?) in all - and they were inedible to me.

Baci1

I'm with ya on those samoas, sorry caramel delights. They use to have a buttery richness that was addictive. Now they just taste sweet, too sweet. They definitely changed recipe or bakeries. Not the same, which is a big shame.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

I haven't been able to find Reese's brand peanut butter in supermarkets. Loved the taste in baking and always had some to scoop on some chocolate when I wanted something sweet. I had no idea about Hellman's mayo changing their formula.

You can expect it to get worse before it get's better. One big reason is that the price of corn, because of the drought, has shot up 28% and that trickles down through the whole food supply chain. On the commodities market it's going for 8.20 a bushel. Corn is the single most important crop produced in America followed by wheat and soy. Pick up a bottle or jar of any processed food at the supermarket and read the ingredients. It always includes corn or soy products (or both). An example would be a bottle of salad dressing. One solution would be to make your own---you don't need "stabilizers" etc.

One of my guilty pleasures has always been Rice a Roni's Fried Rice with Almonds. I hadn't bought any in years, but was craving it the other day. I was surprised to find that the cost for a box had gone way up and the quantity had been reduced. Not only that, but the almonds were missing entirely. I bought it anyway and added my own slivered almonds, but it was just not the same.

Stringio

Not prepared foods but what about a tasty pork chop or a normal sized chicken breast. Loved both as a child and now they are tasteless