🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

substitute for lamb shoulder?

I was planning on making a curry that called for lamb shoulder, but none of the grocery stores around me carry it. They do have leg of lamb, but I know that's considerably leaner. What would be a better substitute, leg of lamb, or maybe pork shoulder or something else?

asked by linzarella about 2 years ago

Lamb shank if you are ready to strip the meat off with a sharp boning knife. OR you could use the shanks whole in your curry mix: cut the tendons and french the bone so that the meat balls up.

Headshot

This is hammering home the point that I need to get better at my butchery skills. However I don't think that's on the menu for today. Any non-knife skills solutions?

Leg of lamb will work, you just have to braise it for about 3 hours. There are many middle eastern braises that call for leg of lamb. Just cube it and make sure your liquid will hold up for that long of a cooking period. If you are using coconut milk, you probably want to wait to add that until the end.

It is not hard to take the meat off of a lamb shank. If I can do it anyone can! I also did this for a lamb stew, and it came out great.

Your butcher will bone a leg of lamb for you. Then you can cube it.