🔎

Pickling Liquid

I have been making a lot of small batch refrigerator pickles lately. We have been enjoying the pickles, but now have a ton of used pickling liquid. What can I do with it?

Kale
Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

Apparently you can use it to brine chicken for fried chicken. Go to SeriousEats.com for the Chik-Fil-A-esque chicken recipe there's lots of mention that the brining liquid for their chicken contains pickle juice.

Ophelia added over 1 year ago

You can drink it. Sometimes pickle juice really hits the spot (electrolyte deficiency can do that).
Otherwise I would toss it, pickling brine gets watered down by the vegetables that are in it, so it doesn't have as much flavor and has a different acidity and salt content by the time you've used the pickles, it is no longer useful for making more pickles.
I have used pickle juice in salad dressing (creamy with mayo) and I've used leftover commercial pickle liquid to quick-pickle hardboiled eggs, so I guess depending on the flavor those could work too.
You might be able to use it as weed killer depending on what's in it.

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Two words: bloody mary!