🔎

• 8

• 1197

I have an actual question and it's about goat cheese

I just received a rather large portion of goat cheese from a local goat dairy. It's a hard cheese, not soft. How would you store it?

Cumberland_pass_atv_trip_-_july_20__2013_019
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

If you have wax paper or waxed butcher paper, wrap it tightly and store in the fridge.

JanetFL added over 1 year ago

Thanks, Amanda. I do have wax paper and will do as you suggest.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Good luck -- love hard goat cheeses!

JanetFL added over 1 year ago

So do I....and it's hard to find!

I'll just add my voice to the choir; yes wrap it in paper. You can find paper specifically tailored to cheese in cheese shops but that is not essential. Let's just say that cheese and plastic wrap don't make good friends.

chef of the future 2000 added over 1 year ago

I disagree that plastic wrap is no no for wrapping cheese - especially for hard cheeses. It keeps it from drying out and does not impact flavor or texture one iota. I was at the goat farm last week buying cheese and they wrapped everything in paper then plastic. Kept in fridge for a week with no problem.

JanetFL added over 1 year ago

Thanks to all. I treated it like a Parmesan wedge - wrapped it tightly in waxed paper and then sealed it in a plastic zip-loc bag. Hopefully it will store as well as Parmesan this way.

Wrapping cheese in paper and then plastic is fine. But wrapping them in nothing but cling wrap causes them to sweat out moisture.