Blenders Again

Cook's Illustrated just re-tested blenders when their 2nd place (to Vitamix) blender went belly-up after a year. While the Vitamix again came in first, at $449 it's a bit pricey. Their second place finisher is the Breville Hemisphere Control, model BBL605XL at $199. Do any of you have that blender? Would you recommend it?

asked about 2 years ago
021

I had 2 Vitamix blenders and found they were not as expected. Bought a professional Blendtec and it is a wonder and a joy. Have now bought 2 others - one for my sister and one for my friend, Kate.

Buddhacat

Love my Vita-Mix. Have had it for years and expect it to continue on. Between my Vita-Mix and my food processor I am one happy camper. Some things I use my Vita-Mix for - making apple butter - quarter and core the apples then cook them down. Saves a lot of steps. Making green drinks - it can take kale, ginger, pineapple and make it a consistency to drink. Make salsas, nut butters etc. Don't use it to heat up soups or whatever that claim is. The Vita-Mix may seem pricey but one ones to spread the price over at least 15 - 20 years if not longer.

I have a kitchenaid blender I am very happy with. Never had a issue with normal blending and makes yummy frozen beverages. Oh yeah costs like 100 bucks

The September issue of Consumer Reports has a review of blenders. Vitamix is their top-rated at $450 and an overal score of 76 out of 100. At #2 is the CR Best Buy, Ninja Master Prep at $60 and a score of 73. Breville at $200 is ranked #7 with a score of 65.

I have had a Ninja for over a year now. I am amazed at its power and ease of use and cleaning every time I put it to use. It makes powdery snow from three cups of ice under a minute. Mine also came with a small quart-sized chopper that is very handy for chopping onions and vegetables.

3-bizcard

I am about to retire my old blender, I have been looking and had already decided on the Breville it's on sale at Williams Sonoma for 199.95. Plan on ordering in the next couple of weeks. Sounds great on paper hope it lives up to the reviews. In general I like Breville products. Vita Mix is too pricey for me although it sounds great.

I recently bought the Breville Hemisphere Control, model BBL 550XL. It is very difficult to make sure it does not leak. I like the hemisphere. I like the glass container. I can't deal with the leak issue. I am returning it. Maybe the newer model has that problem resolved.

3-bizcard

Very good to know. Maybe I'll re think the Breville.

I have to say I'm totally down with the VitaMix. Upon the advice of someone at Food52 I ordered a factory reconditioned one with a five year warranty. Something to consider; the wattage is high enough that you can actually cook soups in it.

But if all you want to do is make Smoothies or margaritas you definitely don't need it.

I would disagree, if you are making margaritas the vita mix (or a margarita machine) is fabulous. My kitchenaide margs don't compare to the smoothness of the vita mix ones. Of course there is the price issue...you just have to make enough to make it worthwhile. ; )

Yes, of course you can make frozen drinks (margeritas) in the VitaMix, it's just overkill. I don't drink margeritas so I can't claim expertise. This past weekend I used mine for a melon gazpacho. I could have done it in the KitchenAid blender but watching that vortex form at the top as the parts break down is excitng.

Image

Thanks for all your suggestions. We're making smoothies and the occasional frozen drink, so a Vita Mix may be overkill. Will keep working on it. Thanks, everyone!