🔔
🔎

microplane

I need to buy a new microplane--lost mine in the process of moving. I used to have the rasp grater, but after trying out the shorter, wider one the other day, I was tempted to buy it instead. Any reason why you'd prefer one over the other?

asked by ATG117 about 2 years ago
Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I found the short, wide one broke on me - the plastic case cracked and it's now useless because the metal bends when I use it. (It was microcplane brand)

Other than that, it's probably personal preference, what feels better in your hand, and the size of the grater holes - some are better for zesting citrus, parmesan, nutmeg, etc.

Had the same experience with a plastic-framed Microplane. After a couple of uses, and a couple of trips through the dishwasher (the packaging said it was dishwasher safe), there are cracks all the way around the thing. It's not one of the grater types, I bouhgt it for "shaving" the big flakes of hard cheeses, chocolate, etc. The plastic is just poorly fabricated, I think. The long skinny ones hold up forever, although they do eventually get dull on the cutting edges. But for me, that's been years and years after the purchase.

Yes, I too have had the plastic casing crack on me - very disappointing.

I have a micrplane with 2 different sized holes that are interchangeable. It it metal frame and gives me a lot of flexibility.

Photo

I have the same Microplane, bought it years ago -- I'm pretty sure they don't make this one anymore. Probably because it meant we could buy one unit w/ 2 different faces instead of 2 separate gadgets. Too bad, because it has a metal frame and takes up very little space in the drawer!

I've never had a handle crack on me. The first Microplane (modeled on wood rasp) I owned didn't even have a handle. Now they've become highly specialized little tools so it depends on your needs. I have about five now I think, but at least they are inexpensive. This maybe the greatest cooking invention of the 20th Century after the Robot Coupe.

Waffle3

The wide versions have the advantage of being able to catch and collect more gratings on their larger surface area. To take advantage of that attribute, you have to use the tool as it was originally designed, that is, to move the tool over the food rather than moving the food against the tool (like you would with a box grater). If you're grating a big block of cheese, it may be better to do things the other way around and catch the gratings in a bowl, but if you're zesting a citrus, you may find what I'm describing to be a lot more accurate and efficient. The wider surface area also comes in handy for larger items, like said big block of cheese.

So, chefono, no reesrvations akin to the ones mentioned re wider surface? I think I tend to prefer it.

And there is a Microplane specifically for cheese (such as parmigiano)...

Waffle3

My oldest one has the plastic frame, looks like new. Crazing and cracking of clear plastics is often due to exposure to oil or alcohol so that might be a clue for those having trouble.

Microplane's "Gourmet" line has a metal frame and a rubber bumper to keep it in place over a bowl or from sliding across the board. To me, those are the most versatile. It comes in at least three versions -- fine, medium and ribbon.

On the other hand, the rotary version is poorly engineered. And I'd skip the "spice" grater which, although it's the perfect tool for nutmeg, the fine zester works almost as well.

Great, thanks!! I was hoping to replace the rasp with something equally versatile. I have a separate grater for parm and use a box grater to shred cheeses.