🔎

• 9

• 707

• See other questions tagged:
    • pizza

A question about a recipe: MAGIC PIZZA WITH RAMPS AND ANCHOVIES

I have a question about the recipe "MAGIC PIZZA WITH RAMPS AND ANCHOVIES" from dymnyno. The dough in this recipe has a hydration level of 92.5%...most pizza dough has a hydration of about 60%. Has anybody tested this recipe, if so, how were they able to handle such wet dough? Also, the recipe says that it is for 1 round pizza...I think that thr=ere is too much dough to make 1 round!

Pizza_and_meringue_007
Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

The ratio of flour to water is the same as the No Knead Bread ratio which is a wet dough, but not impossible to work with. You would have to oil your hands to keep the dough from sticking.

Since the dough is baked in a pizza round pan, you're really just pushing/stretching the dough into the pan. I didn't see a size specified in the recipe, so I'm thinking it's going to adequately fit into large pizza pan. I once used the No Knead dough to make a foccaccia in a half baking sheet. It did fill the whole pan, but was a little too thin for my preference. The photo above does look like the crust is more on the thick side.

If there is too much dough for your desired pizza, just split it in half and make 2 pizzas.

Michael Miller added over 1 year ago

The difference is, that a No Knead dough sits for about 18 hours to develop gluten, making it a bit easier to handle...this dough does not. I'm having trouble justifying about 18 oz of pizza dough making 1 pizza, whereas, normally that would be enough for two 12"-14" pies. The full amount in one has to make a very large, very thick pie.

Buddhacat
SKK added over 1 year ago

I have great success with all of dymnyno's recipes I have used. I agree with HalfPint's analysis and found the same thing to be true when I made the Magic Pizza with Ramps and Anchovies.

dymnyno added over 1 year ago

To be honest, two years ago I didn't know much about pizza dough. I just followed a recipe from a source that I can't remember. But however wet it seems, you can see by the picture that it worked. Since then I have found that I like Andrea Mugnaini's dough as well as Jim Lahey' s. I always use my wood fired oven which is fired at a very high temp. When I make dough, I always make enough for more than one pizza which I either use in a few days or freeze.

Michael Miller added over 1 year ago

I just checked the Mugnaini recipe, and it has an approximate hydration level of 69.5 % which is far from 92.5 %. My Italian wife, would probably throw me out of the kitchen, if I served her such a thick crust. Is that recipe actually for 1 pizza, or is it meant for 2?

dymnyno added over 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Now that I know what a polarizing subject pizza dough is all about I always suggest that anyone making my pizza recipes like the ones on my blog( current-vintage) to use their favorite pizza dough. You sound like you know a lot about pizza dough so that would be my suggestion rather than nit pik about the dough...life is too short !

dymnyno added over 1 year ago

Michael, I'm confused! Would your Italian wife throw you out of the kitchen for using Andrea's dough recipe or mine? As I said pizza dough is very regional. When I took Andrea's class an Italian lady who was also taking the class proudly announced that she always used a rolling pin ...to Andrea's horror.

Michael Miller added over 1 year ago

Sorry that you find enquiries so upsetting. Looking for clarification, to me, is not nit piking, it is learning. I did not understand how such a soft, wet dough could be easily made into a pizza, especially after just a 30 minute rest. So, I was hoping that somebody could shed some light on it. BTW, I was joking about my wife throwing me out of the kitchen....she would not bite the hand that feeds her...I do all of the cooking. She comes from a family that runs an extremely successful restaurant in Delray Beach, Florida, yet does not know how to cook, at all. Anyway, let's just drop the subject and I will move on to other doughs...I happen to own over 1000 cookbooks, so I am not desperately in need of recipes.

dymnyno added over 1 year ago

Michael, it takes a lot more than pizza dough to upset me! You sound like you know a lot more about pizza dough than me. I a glad that you have a huge source of info at your disposal and that you have a loving wife. Cheers!