🔎

• 4

• 881

Help! I had a wooden bowl with some shallots in it on the counter. Somehow a new potato jumped in there too and rotted!!

It reeks! How do I eliminate that smell from the wooden bowl? Right now it's sitting out in the sun

Noz_photo
nzle added over 1 year ago

You can try a few things: first, soak the bowl in a weak solution of white vinegar for about 12 hours, then wash, dry, and oil the bowl to make sure it doesn't crack. (Vinegar draws out smells.)

You might also try storing charcoal inside the bowl. Charcoal is a purifier and may remove some of the smell.

Let us know what you try -- good luck!

meulenbeld added over 1 year ago

Try to emerse it in water and leave it there for some time. After some time take it out and leave it to dry. Rub it with the oil that's suited for wooden utensils you use for food. If this doesn't work, well ...

chef of the future 2000 added over 1 year ago

Take it out of the sun you will dry out the wood and perhaps crack the bowl. Your cleaning will depend on the type of wood and how the bowl is
finished. If its "raw" wood then I would try rubbing with very fine steel wool and soapy water. You maybe out of luck if the wood has absorbed the stain/smell into the grain

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

Scrub with a lemon half and some salt. Rinse, dry with a towel and then oil like everyone else has suggested. It's the procedure that I use on my wooden cutting boards.