🔎

Picking up guests from airport around 10pm. Suggestions for a light Sup I could make in advance and have waiting for them when we get home.

I could heat something up quickly if needed.

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

I'm think something carb-y to help them unwind and fall asleep. Here are some ideas that came to my mind:

- vegetable fried rice or paella
- sushi rolls
- Vietnamese summer rolls (goi cuon) with a peanut sauce
- Spanish tortilla
- congee, http://www.epicurious.com...

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

Oh...I would LOVE Vietnamese summer rolls. A nice Pho soup with herbs would be great with those too. Thanks, Now I want Pho! and my herbs have died this year.

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

Quiche..Salad and bread, and a light sorbet or granita to finish.
Clam Chowder, salad and bread---or you could make a lighter soup that would compliment the Quiche, a vegetable soup.

Imag0055
mainecook61 added over 1 year ago

A simple salad Nicoise, with tuna, ripe tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, perhaps a hard-boiled egg. A loaf of nice bread. Everything can be easily prepped and put together with the vinaigrette just before serving. It's what I'm making tomorrow night in the breathless lead-up to a home wedding this weekend!

Kristen W. added over 1 year ago

When I get off a plane I invariably want something light and healthy, after only having access to processed foods for however many hours. True, raw veg isn't as easy to digest as carbs before sleep, but that's what I would crave (ESP. In the heat) -- a nice salad or two and a little good bread, perhaps? The Thai spring rolls Sam1148 mentioned sound great to me also.

Kristen W. added over 1 year ago

...mentioned by Half Pint, I mean! Man, I keep misreading answers -- my reading comprehension ain't what it used to be!

Jc_profilepic
Sadassa_Ulna added over 1 year ago

I was gonna say gazpacho and some kind of toasted cheese-y sandwich but Vietnamese summer rolls sound great.

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

A miso soup and a bowl of rice and fruit would be nice too with the spring rolls..and even some frozen dim-sum dumplings--which are easily steamed. Some edamame in the pods, boiled in salted water is a nice late night snack, and great to make ahead and chilled in the salted water. Also, have some chilled water--or soda water for their bedside thirst..as they might be a bit dehydrated from the flight. A chocolate bar on the nightstand is good too for changing time zones and waking up and just wanting some sugar in the middle of the night.

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

Ahhh..I just thought of another dish..to go with the spring roll suggestion by half pint.
A Sunomono Salad..with thin slices of cucumbers, wakeme seaweed, and boiled shrimp (or better crab, or octopus)..in a vinegar/dashi broth--with a touch of sugar and soysauce. Great stuff that's better after it soaks a few hours and served chilled.
You can see, I like Japaneese and Asian stuff for late night dinner.

chef of the future 2000 added over 1 year ago

Yum! Thanks everyone - great suggestions.

Wholefoods_user_icon
a Whole Foods Market Customer added over 1 year ago

Let us know what you did!!

Melissa_mitchell
MTMitchell added over 1 year ago

Probably too late but my family and I have made many long trips and come in late and my mom always had homemade macaroni and cheese. She could make it in advance, and put it in the oven when we called to say we'd landed. Or she could pop it out of the freezer and into the oven as we were straggling through the door together getting our bearings. We were usually coming back to the US though so mac-and-cheese might have had some symbolism too.

I decided to go with cold poached shrimp ( I made a broth with the shells and poached in that and herbs and wine). I had some hard boiled egs, lots of fresh salad, fresh crispy bread, fresh fruit, yogurt, and cheese. I also made some brownies.
Light and easy. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Dsc01280
Gibson2011 added over 1 year ago

I'd go with a small cheese plate, bruschetta, and wine. A relaxing snack.