NO GREEN THUMB NEEDED FOR OUR SELF-WATERING HERB KIT. SHOP NOW »

A question about a recipe: Eggplant Parmesan

C1a31eb3 1602 4b88 9617 c1d332433d9c  eggplant parm

I have a question about step 7 on the recipe "Eggplant Parmesan" from Nancy Jo. It says:

"Dredge the eggplant slices in flour, shaking off any excess. Place on the baking sheets and drizzle the each slice with olive oil. Bake until brown on one side (about 15 minutes or so) and tun over and brown the other side. Repeat until you have cooked all the eggplant." Any reason this could not be made with a glutten free subsitute for flour? Any recommendations? Wouldglutten free AP substitutes with things like xanthan gum be off putting?

asked by MoreFoodPlease over 3 years ago
51d6debe 8184 4f26 9614 c25e2aa571c3  p3200173

This isn't my recipe so hopefully the author will comment. To me, yes gluten free substitutes are "off putting". Only a small portion of the population is actually celiac, meaning that they have to avoid gluten. After that it's a fad. But if I'm looking at the recipe correctly you do need that starchy component in some form. It's kind of the glue that holds it together and makes it brown and tasty. Flour and oil love each other.

2928775c f762 436c 8c93 8ddae21710ea  039

I doubt anyone is "choosing a fad" that is gluten free. Who chooses to never eat bread or drink beer again?

I would go - rice flour over the eggplant, egg wash, herb non-gluten flour. Fry in olive oil ontil golden, flip ad cook til golden.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

AP GF flour should work and it is certainly worth experimenting with. Some have xanthan included; some don't. Not sure it will matter.

I'm pretty sure that you will have a slightly different result than with "regular" flour but I don't think it will be a bad result.

Some GF AP flours use a bean flour (fava or garbanzo are both popular) in their mix, which can cause more tender baked goods to have a somewhat "beany" flavor. Having said that, I don't think it will be an issue in this recipe as the other ingredients/flavors should be more than strong enough to overcome it.

Give it a try and report back -- I'd love to know how it turns out.