🔔
🔎

Food processor recommend?

Hi, I have a mini food processor that is frustrating because of it's size and bad design. What does everyone recommend for a standard size processor? Thanks!!

asked by rachel waters over 2 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with a Cuisinart.

Junechamp

I couldn't live without my Cuisinart! I have the old 14-cup model with the wide feed tube, but to tell you the truth, I use my flat lid most of the time -- unless I'm slicing veggies.

Baci1

I suggest at least 10-cup capacity and a large feed tube opening. My Cuisinart is good, but that narrow feed tube is idiotic but I can live with it (though I still hate this aspect of it's design). I think the Kitchen Aid food processor has a nice wide feed tube. And you might want a food processor that can handle bread dough mixing and 'kneading', so a good strong motor is something else to look for.

Even though Cuisinart put the first consumer model robot coupes out there I've never liked them very much. I have an old Braun that's a terrific work horse but I also like the design on the KitchenAids, reliable and durable. For bread doughs though I'll stick with the stand mixer.

I would go to cooksillustrated.com and check out their evaluations. I know they did an article on full size food processor comparisons not to long ago.

Vitamix

378765_10100142819201243_27206805_43631123_963932696_n

You need one! No questions asked!

You need one! No questions asked!

Dsc_0002_2

It is worth noting that if you get a real big'n, like my flea-market-vintage 'super-pro', you get a wide tube, great power and capacity, but you'll still need a mini-prep to grind nuts, and other less-than-1-cup jobs.

Waffle3

Cuisenart Elite: Well designed, powerful and elegant. Lots to like. BUT… Food constantly gets trapped in the lid and can be all but impossible to remove. Beyond the hassle of trying to flush out the stubborn bits, this creates a real danger from foodborne illness. Not only can small particles of food enter when using the machine, all manner of yuck gets washed in if you attempt to clean it in the dishwasher. Purées present a second cleaning problem in that they can be sucked up and out the center shaft during operation. What a mess!!! Unacceptable. Not to mention lackluster performance.

KitchenAid's latest model (KFP1333): Lightweight base won't stay put during heavy use, seems cheap, does not inspire confidence with respect to long life or hard use. Soft-start motor can't be pulsed (despite having a button labeled "Pulse"). Wide rim of small work bowl catches stuff requiring constant scraping when mixing. Can't wash the blades in the dishwasher without crud getting caught underneath. Very disappointing.

Cook's Illustrated was recommending the KitchenAid KFP750 last I can remember.