A question about a recipe: IPA-Battered Fish and Chips

Fishandchipsfinished

I have a question about the recipe "IPA-Battered Fish and Chips" from Laura Davis. What types of fish other than cod can be used for this recipe? Thanks, everyone. ;o)

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

asked about 2 years ago
Baci1

halibut
catfish
tilapia
snapper
orange roughy
mahi mahi
grouper

Junechamp

Pollack is a good alternative. So is whiting. Orange roughy is currently on the endangered list, as are many of the snappers, so I hope you wouldn't use those. And everyone around here knows how I feel about tilapia. If you're intent on using it, please be sure it doesn't come from Asia.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Thanks, HalfPint. What about pollack? We can get sustainably harvested Alaska pollack quite easily -- and in most instances, it's at a lower cost than many of the items on your list. Thanks again. ;o)

Miglore

Sorry for this bizarre glitch -- I didn't actually ask this question; it looks like AntoniaJames did. Our developers are looking into this as we speak. Please let us know if you see other examples of this at [email protected]

Thank you!

Baci1

Pollack will work, it's in the cod family.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Thanks, HalfPint. Did not know that pollack is a cod. Very helpful. I love the Hotline! ;o)

Chris_in_oslo

In Great Britain, the most popular fish for fish and chips were traditionally cod, haddock, and plaice. Cod and haddock are close relatives (as is the pollock, as mentioned above), while the plaice is a flatfish, very different, but firm and white. Except for something really delicate, I think you can feel comfortable with a pretty broad range of species. I've even seen salmon, though I confess I think there a a heck of a lot better ways to eat salmon.

Coonskin

I've used grouper, haddock, pollack, even tilapia.