🔎

I put in a whole teaspoon of cayenne thinking it was cumin. Any ideas to cut the heat? Making chicken tortilla soup.

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Capsaicin is oil soluble. Consider adding Mexican crema, crème fraîche, sour cream or heavy cream to cut the heat (sour cream isn't particularly heat-stable though so be careful). Or peanut butter (not so much as you'd taste it). Sugar will soften the blow (molasses, brown sugar, etc.) Dilute the mix down with (extra) beans or stock. Or refrigerate until cool then skim off the oil which will contain some of the capsaicin.

Amanda,Close added over 1 year ago

Thank you! I did all of the above - a little sugar, a a can of beans, a can of corn, some chopped kale I had in the fridge - all mixed in with the chicken and tortillas. Crema when serving. Yum

ChefOno is suggesting exactly what I would do with the crema/sour cream. Stir in maybe a tablespoon directly into each portion.