HELP! For sanity sakes! Why do my eggs peel tiny pieces at a time?

asked by Bill F almost 2 years ago
Jc_profilepic

They are probably very fresh eggs. The older the egg the easier it is to peel.

08270410avatar_messbrasil

Glad to know my eggs are fresh cause I have the same problem.

It helps if you let the eggs completely cool and the peel them.

Image

I also think it helps to shock them in ice water as soon as they're done so they cool quickly.

Dsc_0028

I had the same problem the other day with old eggs that I shocked in cold water. No clue why sometimes hard-cooked eggs are easy to peel and sometimes they are not.

Dsc_0048b

I find that with fresh eggs, it is just a little easier to peel them if you not only shock them in cold water, but make a small crack in each shell when they go into the cold water after cooking, and let them sit in the cold water for a a few minutes.

L1020855

Healthierkitchen is really on to the secret of peeling hard boiled eggs. If you crack the shell carefully under cool water ,really making the water enter the shell between the cooked egg,and the crackled shell, it will peel much easier . Try it next time you cook some eggs.

Waffle3

As an egg ages, the pH of the albumen rises which lessens the tendency for it to adhere to the inner shell membrane. Although shocking them in cold water does help, it's not the shock per se that does the trick, they simply need to be cold before peeling (and the refrigerator will do the same job if you're so inclined). It also helps to cook them a little longer than usual which sets the white more firmly.

I find it also helps if you peel them under cool running water. Julia Child recomends not just the chill in ice water, but then back into hot water for just a few second to loosen the shell and back again into cold water. http://www.food.com/recipe...

But frankly, sometimes they're just difficult.

I always put a pinch of sea salt or regular in the boiling water with eggs. When done, shock them with cold water. Gently crack the egg in the middle if possible, then use a teaspoon to peal the egg. Works great...

Mirrors

I've also heard that after hard-boiling and cooling the eggs, if yoy let them sit in the fridge for several days, they'll be easier to peel. That seemed to work for me the time I tried it, but I can't swear the eggs weren't a little old to begin with

Image

I just read a tip that you can make hard boiled eggs in the oven and they are easier to peel too! I have not tested this but it may be worth a try?

place the eggs in a muffin tray so they do not move around, turn the oven to 325 degrees, pop in for about 25-30 minutes and remove! Not only are they tastier, but they also are much easier to peel!

Let me know if you try it and it works!

08270410avatar_messbrasil

Don't go bananas over this!(Bananas...easy to peel...never mind!)