🔔
🔎

Why won't my dried chickpeas soften?

I put dried chickpeas in a metal bowl to soak while I was a work to make hummus when I got home. Twelve hours later, I come home and they're still hard. What's the deal? I followed the directions on the bag. Now I'm trying the quick method from the package: boiling for a couple minutes and then soaking for an hour

asked by molls to the wall over 2 years ago
Wholefoods_user_icon

By the way, the old saw about not salting beans when soaking "because it makes them hard" is incorrect. _Cook's Illustrated_ has tested this. Salting the soaking water not only flavors the beans all the way through, it actually makes them soften FASTER - the sodium in the salt displaces calcium and magnesium in the seed coat, softening the pectin and allowing them to soften more quickly. Conversely, adding acid to beans before they are cooked will make them hard, so if you're making a bean dish with tomatoes, don't add them until the beans are al dente.

Open-uri20130128-27035-1z921p-0

I brined my chickpeas in a jar in the fridge for a couple days before I cooked them because I have had poor results in the past. They have been simmering in the brine for about 2 and a half hours now on the stove in a cast iron skillet and they still aren't enjoyable. What could be wrong?

305eeed538ab5514_hummus-and-crudite1.xxxlarge_2x

I would not cook my beans in the soaking liquid, although I have read it's the way to go. If your beans were old, it will take longer for them to soften.

I make falafel a lot, uncooked, they freeze extremely well, and provide a great lunch option at any time.
The chickpeas are not cooked, but soaked overnight, and yes they are still firm, providing the necessary texture for falafel. I know you're talking hummus here, but I just wanted to add this.

Open-uri20130128-27035-1z921p-0

Thanks!