20# of rutabaga. Any ideas, outside of lots of butter, cream and boiling?

asked by Johnnypoekchops almost 2 years ago

Chips? I am making rutabaga fries tonight. I also like to put them on an apple peeler and make ribbons to sauté. Surely you could pickle some of it.

Wholefoods_user_icon

I like them cubed and roasted, then tossed with equal parts softened butter, miso and Dijon mustard, and drizzled with maple syrup to taste.

Gator_cake

You could make and freeze a batch of pasties to use up some of them.

I like both the above suggestions. I layer thin slices of rutabaga and onions; rutabaga layer is about 3 slices high with a single layer of onions. Sprinkle with herbs/spices of choice - I use red chili flakes, garlic powder and maybe oregano. Next a thin layer of cheese - I use feta; repeat layers with respect to how tall the dish is. I end with layer of onion. Pour in water, broth or stock to fill bottom quarter of dish. Cover and bake at 350F until done or almost - make sure liquid doesn't evaporate before dish is done. I top with shredded cheddar until melted. I have to fight off some of my friends to get the crispy cheesy onions on the top.

Imag0055

Why do you need to use them up all at once? Kept in a cool place with some humidity, rutabaga will keep for a while, like most root crops. They are never refrigerated in a supermarket, but heaped up with the squashes (although the skin is sometimes waxed for extra storability). Storage also makes them sweeter. I assume these are from a CSA? Somebody planted their rutabaga too early! (It thrives on cooler fall weather and can then sit in the ground until needed.)

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet