THE FOOD52 CLASSICS: IT DOESN’T GET BETTER THAN THESE. SHOP NOW »

20# of rutabaga. Any ideas, outside of lots of butter, cream and boiling?

asked by Johnnypoekchops over 3 years ago
Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

Chips? I am making rutabaga fries tonight. I also like to put them on an apple peeler and make ribbons to sauté. Surely you could pickle some of it.

Wholefoods user icon

I like them cubed and roasted, then tossed with equal parts softened butter, miso and Dijon mustard, and drizzled with maple syrup to taste.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

You could make and freeze a batch of pasties to use up some of them.

I like both the above suggestions. I layer thin slices of rutabaga and onions; rutabaga layer is about 3 slices high with a single layer of onions. Sprinkle with herbs/spices of choice - I use red chili flakes, garlic powder and maybe oregano. Next a thin layer of cheese - I use feta; repeat layers with respect to how tall the dish is. I end with layer of onion. Pour in water, broth or stock to fill bottom quarter of dish. Cover and bake at 350F until done or almost - make sure liquid doesn't evaporate before dish is done. I top with shredded cheddar until melted. I have to fight off some of my friends to get the crispy cheesy onions on the top.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Why do you need to use them up all at once? Kept in a cool place with some humidity, rutabaga will keep for a while, like most root crops. They are never refrigerated in a supermarket, but heaped up with the squashes (although the skin is sometimes waxed for extra storability). Storage also makes them sweeter. I assume these are from a CSA? Somebody planted their rutabaga too early! (It thrives on cooler fall weather and can then sit in the ground until needed.)