🔎

What counts as lettuce?

I'm realizing that I'm not sure what falls within the scope of lettuce for this week's contest. Are greens like arugula, spinach, and watercress fair game? How about chicories like radicchio and endive? My googling hasn't helped because some sources use lettuce as a broad catch-all, others define it more narrowly. Thanks for clarifying!

Noz_photo
nzle added over 1 year ago

Hey EmilyC! That's a great question, because what we broadly define as "lettuces" do fall under very different plant families. Here's what we're considering lettuces for this contest:

1. ALL of the plant family Asteraceae: any leaf, romaine, butter, dandelion, chicory, or iceberg lettuce.
2. SOME of the plant family Amaranthaceae: spinach, amaranth (but not chard)
3. SOME of the plant family Brassicaceae: watercress, radish greens, turnip greens, arugula (but not cabbage or kale)

I hope this is helpful!

Smokin_tokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo added over 1 year ago

Thank you for clarifying. Could you do further details on #3? mustard greens in or out?

EmilyC added over 1 year ago

This is extremely helpful! Thank you!

Gator_cake

Thank you for this! I too was wondering what exactly was included.

Gator_cake

One more note. Would it be possible to add the info at the contest header? Not everyone looks at the hotline.

Noz_photo
nzle added over 1 year ago

We're actually very limited in space in the contest header, but I will see what I can do! I'm so glad this was helpful.

Scan0004
susan g added over 1 year ago

Seconding HLA -- often the contest parameters need clarification! Sort of a PS?