A question about a recipe: Fried Green Tomatoes with Panko and Parmesan

071911_271

I have a question about the recipe "Fried Green Tomatoes with Panko and Parmesan" from amanda. I have been making these all summer, so yummy. I am going to demo this at a local farm market. Do you think I could do steps 1 and 2 at home then cook at the market? I am worried about the humidity we have here in DC.

asked by Lesliet about 2 years ago
L1020855

I often pre-bread my thick cut slices of green tomatoes, and leave them on wax paper until ready to fry them. To ensure the bottom, which usually is soggier than the top, gets set and doesn't fall off, I fry the slices dry side up ,before turning them over. This seems to allow the moisture that has wicked into my coating to fry somewhat before the heat steams more moisture into the wetter,damp side. You may allay this moisture problem by leaving them on paper towels,or covered newspaper,too. Good luck with the demo...fried green tomatoes are hugely popular here in Alabama, so I am sure yours will be a hit !!!

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Lesliet -- I think you could definitely do step one, and then I might just put the egg and dry ingredients in separate containers and bread the tomatoes once you're at the market. I know this isn't ideal but I think you'll get a crisper result. I'm so excited to hear that you're going to demo this recipe! Let us know how it goes!