🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Chicken stock congealed

I made a large batch of chicken stock about five days ago. I got lazy and let it sit in my fridge in a large bowl since then. I just went to strain out the fat and divvy it up into smaller containers to freezer when I discovered that it had turned to the consistency of jelly. What the heck?!?! I have never had this happen? All the fat appears to have floated to the top, as normal. It has been a while since I made, but isn't this just basically flavored water? I used the roasted bones from one carcass and then a bunch of raw chicken wings to make the stock. I am so confused. Can this be saved?

asked by WannabeBaker about 2 years ago
Chris_in_oslo

This Is good! Just what you want for a nice, rich broth. It'll melt if you serve it warm. Don't worry, it's good!

Hmm, OK. Can I still go ahead and divvy it up and freeze it as I normally would? I find this so strange - my stock is always in liquid form whenever I make it. I wonder if it's because my meat to water ratio was a lot higher by using all those chicken wings, which got packed in.

The chicken wings have a high gelatin content, as other mentioned a chilled broth that's jelly like is good. It'll freeze fine. When you reheat it, it'll make a very rich stock.
Use a spoon while it's chilled to skim off the fat disk.

Chris_in_oslo

Yep, it was the wings. I sometimes buy chicken feet just to get a nice gelatinous broth. Go ahead and divvy it up. Don't worry if there's a bit that's runny and another part that's better jelled. Again, this is good!

Chris_in_oslo

I will add that I think five days is a little long. I'd bring it back to a simmer for 20 minutes or more, then re-cool it before freezing.

I agree too that after 5 days in the frige I would bring the stock to a boil before freezing to destroy any bacteria that may developed. Also li when it is liquid again it will be easier to portion for freezing.

Lulusleep

Since it's been a while, you should listen to the others and heat up the stock and re-cool before freezing. If it's just left overnight, you can just portion out the jelly and freeze. I've done that before and it's just fine.