🔎

Hi anyone have any ideas for vegetarian ( no seafood) sushi fillings. I want some tasty ones and so far I have only thought of " cucumber and

pickledpossum added over 1 year ago

Sorry cucumber and avocado

Wholefoods_user_icon
a Whole Foods Market Customer added over 1 year ago

Oshinko (pickled daikon radish) is a common sushi filling. Thinly julienned carrot would also be good. Perhaps some jicama would be a nice change, a bit fusion-y.

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I made a pickled watermelon rind the other week, and I think it would be interesting in a sushi roll - not traditional, of course, but the tang from a sweet pickle does approximate the yellowed pickled daikon radish (and is certainly an interesting/unique twist).

- Trim green skin off of watermelon rind, leaving a thin layer of pink. Cut into desired shapes (in this case, perhaps julienne or a baton). Simmer for 5 minutes to soften.
- In a separate pot, boil equal parts sugar & rice vinegar with a good pinch of salt and some spices (I used a clove, one star anise, fresh grated ginger and some peppercorns - could also use cardamom, pink peppercorns, coriander seeds, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean etc).
- Pour hot vinegar over drained rind and sit for a few hours to a few weeks.

FunkyLady added over 1 year ago

Marinated mushrooms are a common vegetarian sushi filling and quite delicious. I would also recommend experimenting with different combinations of a few of the mentioned ingredients. Scallion avocado and cucumber would be quite nice, jazz it up with black sesame seeds on the outside.

Bigpan
bigpan added over 1 year ago

Yam! Roast and roll.

Maedl added over 1 year ago

I sampled "Bavarian sushi" this last weekend. One was made with a small piece of Weisswurst, a very mild sausage usually eaten at breakfast with a pretzel and wheat beer. The other was made with chanterelle mushrooms. I am not a great fan of sushi, but these were not bad.

Food
Hagerty added over 1 year ago

seasoned tofu, or tomago

FunkyLady added over 1 year ago

You could also make fruit maki. Add coconut milk to the rice instead of vinegar and roll up mangoes and raspberries using soy paper.

pickledpossum added over 1 year ago

This sounds very interesting. What is soy paper?

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

This doesn't answer your question.

But how about rice paper rolls..moistened and wrap around rice noodles, slivers of mushroom, green onions, carrot and zucchini shreds. Fresh mint and basil.
You could adjust adding some fried tofu in small 'french fry' cuts to sub for the meat elements.

With a dipping sauce of lime, soy, a touch sugar, garlic..with crush peanuts.
The fresh herbs are a must for these IMHO.
Add some mild chili peppers sliced and seeded too if you wish.

http://www.vietworldkitchen...

They really come together fast..and can be made ahead..cover them with a damp towel in the fridge--serve chilled. With individual dipping bowls for guests for the dipping sauce.

Kinda like what Funky Lady said..but you can mix it up with several type of rice paper rolls.

pickledpossum added over 1 year ago

Yuuuummmmm. Sounds delish

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

Working with the round 'rice paper' rolls is pretty easy. You don't Soak them..I take a shallow dinner plate with water and christen them with water..just a dip on both sides..in about 20 seconds they become soft and pliable. ready for stuffing and wrapping; no corn starch is needed as they seal to themselves. You don't want them dripping wet. You could use the traditional rice noodles, or brown rice for the 'starchy' element. (I'd prefer coconut basmati for rice in those tho). But then I'm a bit more elaborate than what is a simple dish to offer options. Raw crispy Veggies, a noodle or rice, herbs, wraped in cool rice paper..with a simple dipping sauce with lime, garlic. sugar (optional). Fish sauce would be traditional..but you specified veggie only. BTW: I've used angel hair pasta and chill that..with some oil and lime juice for the main filler and add raw veggie shards to stuff and roll..MINT AND BASIL. Sorry, but it's key element IMHO.

Buddhacat
SKK added over 1 year ago

Sam, you should write a cookbook!

Summer of Eggplant added over 1 year ago

Umeboshi with shiso leaf is fairly popular. You can get the umeboshi at an Asian grocery stores. And if you can't find shiso leaf why not use mint? Also, not traditional, but I've had kim chi sushi. Golden and red beets might be nice too. All the other suggestions here sound great. Sounds like you could make quite an array of sushi. Good luck!

Junechamp

...and no one will miss the meat/fish!

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

Vegetable tempura like zucchini, carrots, yam, potato, pumpkin, taro. The crunch from the tempura batter and the cooked vegetable are really nice inside a sushi roll.

Jc_profilepic
Sadassa_Ulna added over 1 year ago

Futomaki has a simple omelet rolled into it along with pickles and other stuff, if your guests eat eggs. It is similar to the Korean gimbap (or kimbap).

Beth Cooper added over 1 year ago

I think cashews and spicy broccoli (made like spicy tuna) is good. Stolen from a sushi place
In San Diego.

imadok added over 1 year ago

Tamago! Look up menus for trendy sushi roll places for inspiration too. I had a Mexican inspired rol once with cilantro, cream cheese, etc that was pretty good. But now I want the veggie spring rolls everyone else is suggesting!

Lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby added over 1 year ago

I do use the rice noodles on the rice paper...and this is my favorite dipping sauce for the veggie rolls

pickledpossum added over 1 year ago

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I Am sure with all these suggestions everyone's taste buds will be satisfied.