🔔
🔎

Flavoring Crumbs

Has anyone tried flavoring crumb toppings? Instead of just plain crumbs on cakes and such. Has anyone tried making berry crumb or something like that?

asked by BrangDang over 2 years ago

I happily add spices to a crumb topping - cinnamon etc. to complement the flavours, but I think adding berries might make hings a bit soggy - I'd probably put the berries in the cake, and a bit of spice in the topping. I guess if you had some freeze dried berries or something that might work?

Baci1

Something similar, I want to make the milk crumbs from Christine Tosi's Milkbar book. And I want to flavor it with freeze-dried strawberry powder.

http://www.bonappetit.com...

I was actually just looking through the Milkbar book for some advice hah

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I bet tossing them with some lemon or orange zest and then letting it sit for awhile would work nicely, perhaps with a grating or two of fresh nutmeg. ;o)

Jc_profilepic

I add finely chopped toasted nuts to crumb toppings sometimes along with spices and a pinch of salt.