The Best Blender to Invest In?

Do any of you have a recommendation for a blender that you absolutely love?

I am a serious cook of sorts, also into healthy cooking, so I make my own (enter anything here) when I can.
That being said, I am also often making smoothies, green juices (with my juicer at the moment), pureeing soups on a weekly basis...
I am torn between investing in a VitaMix (because of my deep interest in super pureed fruit/veggie drinks and the ease of soup pureeing, and the ability to grind things into flours or nut butters.... ) and getting a really nice blender — whatever is the next best thing to a VitaMix.

I currently have a rather annoying Oster Beehive blender that was gifted to me and, while beautiful, makes a rocket-like sound when turned on for the simplest tasks, doesn't hold all that much liquid, and doesn't really break things down as well as I'd like.

Any recommendations? I'm not afraid to spend a healthy amount, assuming this won't costs me as much as a VitaMix.

Thanks!

asked by Cookie16 about 2 years ago

I have a blendtech that I like a lot. Costco had a deal going. Pricey, but I use it about 10 times more often than its predecessor. I got the 2 different sized goblets. Mostlyvusebthe bigger one.

Wholefoods_user_icon

If you can't afford the $400-500 for a Vitamix, Cook's Illustrated recommends the Breville Hemisphere Control (model BBL605XL), which retails for $200. It's available from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Breville...

Merrill

Not to confuse matters, but I love my Waring blender, and it looks so nice too!

This was my runner up...and I have to say, I am having a tough time letting go of the idea! It is much prettier than the VitaMix. As a designer, I'm having a hard time getting over the idea of spending that much money on something unattractive, despite the fantastic functionality!

Another vote for the Blendtec. It fits under standard kitchen cupboards, has a phenomenal warranty, and we use it 10 times a day easily. It is much easier to clean than a Vitamix, and usually doesn't need the dig-stirring that the Vitamix has as an integral part of the machine. The Blentec is currently $300 (with rebates) through Costco. I know a lot of people with either the Blentec or the Vitamix, and generally they are very happy with them, regardless of which they pick. Although my sister had the Vitamix and Blendtec at the same time, and preferred the Blendec and returned the Vitamix. An awesome blender is key to my kitchen happiness. Congrats on making your way toward kitchen nirvana!

Thank you!

Okay, the Vitamix looks clunky but it is the war horse of mixers. And in fact it is very easy to clean as all you really need to do is add some detergent, half fill it with hot water and crank it up to high.

Buddhacat

Vitamix all the way

I might be the odd one out here, but I love my Cuisinart Smart Stick immersion blender. I use it more than I ever could have imagined. I originally got it because I was tired of transferring hot soups to my food processor. However, it makes a great smoothie and I can blend the smoothie in the cup I drink it in, so it makes clean-up so easy. I also use the mini food processor attachment to chop veggies and herbs quickly. I use it daily. It is a great tool for the kitchen.

I second the vote for the Cuisinart Smart Stick. I use it for soups, tomato sauce and other sauces, as well as jams. It's so effective, so quick and easy to use -- and so easy to clean. I don't know what I'd do without it.

Chris_in_oslo

Could someone please explain what it is that makes the Vitamix so expensive and even more, what makes it worth it? I've periodically explored their website but don't quite get something that I'm almost sure is out there.

That's a hard question Greenstuff. I guess it's because of it reputation and US made.
I inherited mine...and it's powerful. The motor is very strong, enough so the lights dim when it's turned on...and enough to cause molecular friction if you dump in things like onions, potatoes, stock, creme...that it heats it up simply by the force molecules bumping into each other..so it 'cooks' by that method if you leave it running a couple of mins.

It's also powerful enough that putting in ice and creme, the quick breakdown freezes things into 'soft serve ice cream'. Yes, that's odd..but the physics is sound.

And for a juicer..it'll pulverize almost any veggie fiber juice and all into liquid. You need to add a bit of starter liquid first though.

Just don't use to grate Parmesan cheese rinds (as I've mentioned before)...the old VHS tape that came with mine showed them turning blocks of wood into saw dust..apparently Parmesan Reggiano cheese rinds are harder than wood--I broke a blade on mine.

Still I think it's a bit overpriced and replacements parts are crazy expensive.

HAHAH...I need to find that old VHS tape.....they showed original the pitchman/owner from the 60's doing his speil and was very sexist, "Look at this apple..A WOMEN will peal it and through away all the skin Just drop it in here to get all the vitamins that God intended you get". I guess that was because of the price and the guy would make the choice to purchase the item.

High quality parts, expensive control components. No doubt they are excellent devices. I have used a vitamix and our the blendtec. Both very good. Blendtec less expensive and for my home purposes a great choice. The other user wants simple, push button. The blendtech is very amateur friendly. I prefer the fine control of the vitamix, but have to be cognizant of other users.