🔔
🔎

Trappist Beer Food Pairing Suggestions

My husband's birthday is coming up and he loves Trappist beer (Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, etc.). I was able to score some of the hard-to-get Westvleteren 12 for this special day. Any suggestions on some food to pair with it to enhance the flavors? I've never tasted it but I don't want to mess up the combination. Thanks in advance!

asked by Courtney Pollock about 2 years ago
Headshot

Cheese!

I'm planning on Stilton cheese because I read it's a good mix. Also some pepparkakor (Swedish gingerbread cookies). :)

Waffle3

Sausage! The spicier the better. I do a fancy version where I take slices of cooked sausage, slather them with grainy German mustard and wrap them in puff.

Lamb stew! I did a 5 course beer pairing for my husbands birthday and each dish was prepared with the same beer paired for drinking. I used an abbey ale in my lamb stew and it was great!

a carbonnade or mussels.

Moi_1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I would go with some kind of hearty beef stew. Or braised oxtails with root vegetables. Or roasted pumpkin with toasted walnuts, arugula and blue cheese.