🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Mussels in a Yellow Tomato Lemongrass Broth

6692c038-a9d8-4c1d-b247-abc64adb782f.food52_10-09-12-3335

I have a question about the ingredient "yellow-orange tomatoes, cored and quartered" on the recipe "Mussels in a Yellow Tomato Lemongrass Broth" from wildgreens. Would you recommend other tomatoes for when the yellow/orange ones are out of season?

asked by NakedBeet almost 3 years ago
153e100a-284f-4c64-a3cc-72ac1de69d2d.zester_003

Well, tomatoes are a summer fruit period no matter which color strain you are talking about. Of course you can buy hothouse tomatoes and imports all year.

Eb515e78-7387-4e72-b91d-acfa26b55b99.default-full

No difference, well, not much, other than color. There is a *slight* taste difference between the colors of tomatoes, but in a highly spiced broth (lemongrass is assertive, for sure), you likely wouldn't notice a significant change in taste. Obviously, the color will be radically different, depending upon which variety you use. But as @pierino said, tomatoes are a Summer fruit (act now, they're going fast, my plants are already spent). Out-of-season/hothouse/ipmorts will never give you the flavor of Summer tomatoes, no matter the color.

F8aa2c45-c3c5-4c8e-92d5-a38c2f642e27.dsc03273

The yellow-orange tomatoes (such as standard orange, or German-Striped) are milder, a bit sweeter, and lower in acidity which translates into a more delicate soup. They're still in season where I live. Best to use local tomatoes when they're in season. I haven't tried with other types of tomatoes, so not sure how it would change the flavor of the soup.