A question about a recipe: Mussels in a Yellow Tomato Lemongrass Broth

Food52_10-09-12-3335

I have a question about the ingredient "yellow-orange tomatoes, cored and quartered" on the recipe "Mussels in a Yellow Tomato Lemongrass Broth" from wildgreens. Would you recommend other tomatoes for when the yellow/orange ones are out of season?

asked by NakedBeet almost 2 years ago

Well, tomatoes are a summer fruit period no matter which color strain you are talking about. Of course you can buy hothouse tomatoes and imports all year.

No difference, well, not much, other than color. There is a *slight* taste difference between the colors of tomatoes, but in a highly spiced broth (lemongrass is assertive, for sure), you likely wouldn't notice a significant change in taste. Obviously, the color will be radically different, depending upon which variety you use. But as @pierino said, tomatoes are a Summer fruit (act now, they're going fast, my plants are already spent). Out-of-season/hothouse/ipmorts will never give you the flavor of Summer tomatoes, no matter the color.

Dsc03273

The yellow-orange tomatoes (such as standard orange, or German-Striped) are milder, a bit sweeter, and lower in acidity which translates into a more delicate soup. They're still in season where I live. Best to use local tomatoes when they're in season. I haven't tried with other types of tomatoes, so not sure how it would change the flavor of the soup.