🔎

• 14

• 630

For how long...

...can I keep peanut butter and maple syrup after they've been opened?A friend brought me huge(I mean huge!) jars in june.They're half empty now(or half full if you're optimistic!).I'm in Brazil,it's almost Spring here but it's so hot it feels like Summer,so they're in the fridge.It's impossible to find maple syrup in Brazil.I would hate to see it go bad,so depending on your answers maybe I'll use it for something other than just breakfast.

08270410avatar_messbrasil
Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added over 1 year ago

ONE OF THE FEW OPENS THAT CAN BE KEPT TIGHTLY CLOSED AND KEPT FOR A LONG TIME.

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago

Maple syrup can keep "forever" in the refrigerator. The high sugar content well preserves it. The danger is from mold which can grow in the moist environment. Be careful not to contaminate it and watch for any obvious signs of growth. Otherwise, enjoy!

Peanut butter "best by" dates assume RT storage. You can extend that considerably in the fridge. Low in moisture but high in unsaturated fat, the danger is oxidization. Oxidization = free radicals = cancer. A year is reasonable I think. In any case, *before* it tastes stale.

Bill F added over 1 year ago

Unless it's maple syrup straight from a tree to te bottle you should be fine. B/c all maple syrup needs to be pasteurized. If it isn pasteurized simply boil it and add a few table spoons of water and you'll be ok. And if refrigerated the peanut butter will be fine. And no maple syrup in Brazil? You might the most popular person in town.

08270410avatar_messbrasil
mensaque added over 1 year ago

It is one of the best things I have ever put in my mouth...

08270410avatar_messbrasil
mensaque added over 1 year ago

Good to know...So they'll be OK for a few months more,right?Thanks!let me ask you something else:who's the cutie in the picture?I love bull dogs.I always had boxers and they're the best,but since the last one died I mooved to a house with no backyard so I have to go smaller now!

08270410avatar_messbrasil
mensaque added over 1 year ago

Not that you're not all cute and thaks for the answers,but the bull dog reply was for sexyLAMBCHOPx.Don't know why it was posted down here.

Junechamp

As long as you keep them in the fridge, both of them wil keep until you use them up -- literally forever.

Wholefoods_user_icon
a Whole Foods Market Customer added over 1 year ago

@BillF: since real maple syrup is made by boiling down maple sap until the sugars concentrate, it's all pasteurized at the point of production. It is literally impossible to buy real maple syrup which is not pasteurized.

Bill F added over 1 year ago

I did not know that. Thanks for the FYI

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added over 1 year ago

lol, mensaque - you're a trip! Francois is a soon to be 3 year old French Bulldog. Great for apartments and smaller houses, they dont need much exercise. He's my sous chef & taste tester in the kitchen!

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added over 1 year ago

On peanut butter I'd be less worried about it's age than about salmonella. Another recent outbreak here in the states. I'm not sure which label.

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago

Trader Joe's

ChefOno is correct http://vitals.nbcnews.com...