🔎

• 9

• 555

What went wrong with this marinade?

There were some obvious issues with the recipe (listed cumin seeds as an ingredient, not in the actual recipe, called for orange in the ingredients and then used lemon in the recipe) but this marinade was the worst thing I have ever made. It had cumin seeds, coriander seeds, chili flakes, marjoram, garlic, olive oil and salt and I ground it all in a food processor and tasted like chili flavored soap. Thoughts?

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

Seems to be missing an acid and you might not have had enough salt.

08270410avatar_messbrasil
mensaque added over 1 year ago

Was the marjoram you used fresh or dried?Cause if it was dried and maybe you had it opened for a while,the "soapyness"could have come from the stale taste of the herb.

rldougherty added over 1 year ago

I think the orange would have added a lot? The recipe said to finish the steak with lemon. Anyways, it hit the trash as I did not have the patience to try and fix it.

rldougherty added over 1 year ago

It was fresh marjoram.

08270410avatar_messbrasil
mensaque added over 1 year ago

Then I got nothing,sorry!

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

How fresh was the olive oil?

08270410avatar_messbrasil
mensaque added over 1 year ago

Sarah may be on to something...it might be rancid.

rldougherty added over 1 year ago

I just bought it a week or so ago from an imported food store. Hmmm---I am going to give that a taste.

rldougherty added over 1 year ago

Almost positive it is the olive oil! Dang it. I thought i was in the clear buying the imported stuff from Greece.