🔔
🔎

Marmite substitute?

I have a recipe that calls for a small amount of Marmite, 1/4 teaspoon to be exact. I don't want to get an entire jar which I know will just go to waste, but I'm wondering if there's anything I could substitute it with, preferably with easy to find ingredients. I'm not in an area with a big variety of stuff around. :)

Thanks!

asked by Ani Niow over 2 years ago
Buddhacat

British version or New Zealand version?

I'd leave it out. It's a pretty strong taste. Difficult to describe if you haven't tasted it. (well, the SO says it's like burned malt beer with touch of fecal matter)..

A reduced bit of beef stock crystals with touch of strong beer as the liquid could sub. Bascially use something concentrated, yeasty and salty.

Okay another taste test with the SO. With Marmite..the later was a bit about his rant about Vegemite from long ago.

"taste this...describe it" (hands him a small piece of bread with too much marmite on it)...
"Humm...wood in turpentine, a undertone of rotten fish, with a finish of burned oil filled electrical transformers with smoked Bakelite plastic". Then "give me some cigarette butts soaked in boiling water to gargle to get this taste out of my mouth!"

I try not to challenge him too much, except for my amusement.

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Ooh, Sam, fighting words. I have a unique talent of being able to get any non-Aussie (or kiwi) to say about Vegemite:

"it's not horrible"

(It's all about the butter)

But to answer the question - you could try a bit of miso. Both have the same pungent slightly fermented-tasting umami qualities.

Wtf is Marmite?

Open-uri20141030-6777-167tand

It's a fermented yeast paste that has a very strong unami flavor. In large doses, it's too much (strong, bitter, and unpleasant). In very tiny doses, it adds an unami flavor to vegetarian dishes. If you use it almost the same way you would use a spice, it can really add to a dish. A thin scraping of it on one of the pieces of bread in a sandwich can be excellent. As a stand-alone flavor, not so much.

Open-uri20141030-6777-167tand

Just realized that was typing unami. It's umami, not unami. Basically, it's a savory, meatiness.

You can google Marmite and get the facts, which are not all that interesting (nor is the taste). But good heavens, "one quarter teaspoon"? A little too precious, don't you think? I guarantee you can leave out 1/4 tsp Marmite without any significant effect on results.