🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

What is the best step in the baking process to retard dough?

I'm trying to streamline my bread-making for my busy schedule. I am making the breadsticks from Michael Kalanty's How to Bake Bread (reliable recipe), but I need to make the dough Monday so I can make the breadsticks on Tuesday. It is a soft dough, made with part milk and some fat. Here are the steps: make the dough, rise 30 minutes on a half-sheet, "walk it out" like you would focaccia, rise 30 more minutes, form the breadsticks and proof, bake. So, when should I retard the dough in the fridge? Let it rise once, then have the second rise in the fridge/coming to room temp on the second day? Or retard the formed breadsticks?

asked by clementinebakes about 2 years ago
Wholefoods_user_icon

After mixing - let the retard replace the first rise.

I'd retard it after you take it for the focaccia walk, before shaping the breadsticks. I retard focaccia at that point, after I've stretched it, then let it proof and dimple it the next day. I suspect you'll get a better rise on your breadsticks that way.