🔔
🔎

cooked a no knead bread in a cast iron pot with parchment paper at about 500 degrees. Afterwords realized the parchment paper is over safe to 400 degrees. Does anyone think that the bread is not okay to serve? It appears the very bottom burned slightly due to the paper.

asked by foodfighter about 4 years ago

I think the bread is fine. The oven safety is probably there to tell you not to put parchment into a 500 degree oven b/c it would smoke and char excessively. Baking in a covered pot probably kept the paper from getting too burned.

I've used parchment at very high temps myself and have never had any concern about safety of the food item. I have set off smoke detectors though!

Chris_in_oslo

I think that Savorykitchen is right. I looked around for health-effects information on parchment papers, and while I wouldn't make a habit of roasting them at 500 degrees, my concerns would be more for fire than for the off-gassing of toxic compounds.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Yeah, I think it's perfectly fine too.

I agree with SavoryKitchen it is more about the paper catching fire.