🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

I'm planning on dry brining my turkey, then using the duck fat and technique for cooking from this: http://www.foodnetwork.... The recipe calls for separating the turkey, seasoning the turkey with salt and pepper and apple cider vinegar, then "marinating" overnight between layers of chopped up veggies. I think it makes more sense to dry brine the turkey, then separate it, and proceed with the cooking instructions from there. I don't see how the marination process is really going to add much to the bird, and don't understand the purpose of the vinegar. I wonder if I'm missing something. Any opinions/ideas?

asked almost 4 years ago

Well, some use an acid ingredient hoping to tenderize as well as flavor meat. The link didn't work, btw.

Try posting the link again. I'll read it.

Gator_cake

http://www.foodnetwork...
I accidentally added a period to the end of the link. Sorry.

Rays-2

I wouldn't use that recipe. It's the salt that denatures the protein to keep the bird juicy, and although I'm no chemist, I think the vinegar is likely to "cook" the outside of the bird so the salt can't get in. The duck fat compound sounds good, but the whole technique sounds like a lot of work for an uncertain result.

Gator_cake

Thanks, Abra. That reinforces my decision not to do the recipes marinating process.

Was looking back at my notes from last year's thanksgiving and I wrote, "Plain old roasting works fine, never doing complicated process with turkey again."