Question about the Rosemary brined fried chicken recipe

Do I understand correctly that the finished pieces of fried chicken will hold in a 250 oven for up to two hours? I'm thinking of making this for a dinner party, but don't want to be deep frying while guests are hovering. Thanks in advance.

asked by Gmarkb almost 2 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Hi Gmarkb -- I wrote to Michael Ruhlman to get some clarification on how exactly he holds the chicken when he makes it ahead, and I'm waiting to hear back for details. But rest assured, you don't have to fry with guests hovering (hate that!).

Here's what Ruhlman said on his website, for now: "For legs, thighs and wings, I like to finish them in a 250? F/120? C. oven, to make sure they’re super tender and to further crisp them. This lets me serve it whenever I want, no last minute frying if guests are invited. I brought the above wings to Mac’s house and reheated to crisp them up during the first quarter of the Super Bowl while we watched lame commercials." http://ruhlman.com/2012...

I'll report back when I hear more from him.

Miglore

This just in! Ruhlman says you can either hold in a low oven for a couple hours or cool, then re-crisp them: "If holding for more than two hours, would cool and fridge uncovered then reheat and recrisp. Fab the next day as well."

Hope this helps!

Kristen, many thanks for your help. You guys are wonderful!