Runny lemon curd! Help!

My lemon curd came out too runny and I was planning on using it to fill a tiered cake tomorrow. It is not firm enough as is to use, but is already chilled in the refrigerator. Is there anything I can do to make it firm enough to use as a cake filling?

asked by Couldn't Be Parve almost 2 years ago
Justsomecook

Your best bet is to throw some bloomed gelatin in there and heat it just enough to melt it in. Maybe a sheet per quart, sight unseen.

Potofbeans

My concern is that if the lemon curd is too runny, you may not have heated it enough to sufficiently cook the eggs. If you used pasteurized eggs, it's probably fine and I would go with JustSomeCook's suggestion, but if you didn't, I wouldn't risk it. Buy some good jam and use that instead, or make another batch.

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Have to agree with china millman - it sounds like you didn't cook it long enough. Assuming you used a recipe with the right ratios, the egg yolks will eventually get there (even if it seems to be taking forever). I'd re-do it.