FREE Standard Shipping. TODAY: Up to 30% Off Gift Cards (limited supply). Shop Now »
🔔
🔎

half and half substitute

A recipe for an onion/sweet potato tart calls for 1 and 1/2 cups of half and half. Can I substitute milk instead to make it more healthy?

asked by Karenmwaters about 2 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

It might help to see the recipe you're using -- milk may work fine (especially if it's whole milk). The only risk is that lower fat dairy is more likely to break and look curdled when it boils, but other ingredients can sometimes protect against that.

Waffle3

Without seeing the recipe it's difficult to be certain but, in general, you could make the substitution but you'd be sacrificing flavor and mouthfeel. You could also substitute nonfat milk or plain water...

P1291120

As one of my close friends says: "Fat equals flavor". So, maybe think of half and half as the healthy alternative to full cream ... ;)

Thank you all, I think I will keep the half and half!!!!